Thursday, November 10, 2011

Fishing Jackets I LOVE - Rachel's review of Women's Fly Fishing Gear





I most recently purchased two jackets as I needed to replace my rain jacket as well as upgrade my insulating outer layer.

Let's start with my Simms Women's Guide jacket...In the past 18 years I have worn a number of quality rain jackets - I believe that rain jackets should be and must be water PROOF...none of this water resistant stuff. Most have proven to last multiple years after hard core steelhead fishing, wet trips to Alaska and Kamchatka, and even those unfortunate fishing trips where summer turns into winter (in the middle of summer!).

On a recent trip to Patagonia, Chile I learned that I needed (and envied) a dear friends new Simms Rain jacket for women! Simms has always been a leader in technical fishing garb for women. Actual waders, boots, and jackets made especially for women. The feature that sold me on the Simms Women's Guide jacket was the hood... in a torrential rain storm in Chile, Susan weathered the storm as the beads fell upon her head and not on her face. She could navigate and fish hard without being uncomfortable or hinder her casting. That night when I saw photos of the bigs browns she caught in the storm while still smiling I was sold.

The Simms Guide jacket is has a feminine cut and has all the bells and whistles including a flannel lined chin guard, hand warmer pockets, storms cuffs, adjustable waist, two chest pockets with hidden retractors, and an adjustable storm hood which stows in the collar. This jacket is for those wet days on the water but stylish enough to wear around town too. Retails for $299.95.

The second jacket - I have a love affair with this jacket. OK, I won't get carried away but you will. The Patagonia Down Sweater is by far the best winter coat I have ever owned. It is wind resistant, warm without the bulk, and fits well under your waders. It is a jacket for fishing and for living in the west with our wonderful fall/winter/spring weather. All I can really say is - put one on and you will never take it off. My recent posting on Patagonia's Facebook page... And by the way, the black jackets are on sale! ($140 Sale price, was $200).

Give Rachel a call to discuss sizing and any other details. Tell Santa you need these jackets...
Email Rachel at andrasoutfitters@me.com or rachel@flyfishingoutfitters.com or call 530.227.4837 Rachel can place the order for you.

www.andrasoutfitters.com / 530.227.4837

No comments:

Post a Comment